Tonight in Unpacking: Viewership for the MLB All-Star Game saw a decline, with Fox’s telecast’s 7.51 million viewership the lowest ever for the game. SBJ’s Austin Karp has more on the numbers and trends.
- NFL calls August 9 meeting to approve Broncos purchase
- FaZe Clan makes rocky Nasdaq debut
- New York Giants bring back the look of 1980-90s jerseys
- PGA of America and Elysian Collaborate on Investment Fund
- Op-ed: The Next 50 Years Under Title IX
- Benita Fitzgerald Mosley talks youth sports rebound
miss this morning buzzcast? SBJ’s David Albright breaks down Notre Dame is looking to get paid, FaZe Clan goes public, and Tepper Sports & Entertainment loses another leader.
MLB attracted its weakest audience yet for the All–star game broadcast, with Fox drawing 7.51 million viewers on Tuesday night, reports SBJ’s Austin Karp. This figure is 8% lower than the previous low of 8.14 million viewers in 2019 (when outdoor advertising figures were not yet factored into viewership figures).
This year’s game is down 9% from last year’s 8.24 million viewers. Despite the drop, Fox still scored an easy win among all primetime TV shows yesterday (cable or broadcast). MLB has also seen declines this year for the Home run derby on ESPN and the MLB Draft on ESPN and MLB Network.
MLB ASG audiences always compare favorably to other major leagues. The most recent Pro Bowl drew 6.69 million viewers on ABC/ESPN/DisneyXD, while the NBA All-Star Game drew 6.28 million on TNT/TBS and the NHL All-Star Game drew 1, 15 million on ABC.
|MLB All-Star Game viewership trend on Fox|
|2020||NO GAME (COVID)|
The NFL called a special meeting of owners on August 9 at Minneapolis formally approve walmart heir Rob Waltonthe record $4.65 billion acquisition of Broncossources told SBJ Ben Fischer. The league’s finance committee has yet to vote on the deal, but that step is expected shortly. Approval would end the Bowlen family owned by the team after 38 years.
In June, a group led by Walton, his son-in-law Greg Pennerthe girl Carrie Walton Penner and Melody Hobson was chosen from a group of four finalists to buy the team from the Bowlen Trust.
FaZe-Clan this morning became the first esports and gaming company to trade on the Nasdaqat an opening price of $13.02, SBJ’s note Tobias Seck. But after celebrating its first day of trading as a public company, a lack of information about the company’s post-merger valuation led it to close the day down just over 20% at 9 $.88.
Surrounded by members and leaders of FaZe, CEO Lee Trink gave a brief speech to the Nasdaq opening bell, concluding, “Now is the time for FaZe Clan. But the market lost its positive momentum in the days leading up to the completion of the merger with SPAC B. Riley Director 150 Merger Corp., and the price fell below $10 within the first 10 minutes of trading. For most of the day, FaZe traded around 30% below its open price, but in the last two hours of trading the stock rallied slightly.
Between an earlier IPO target of the first quarter of 2022 and its actual Nasdaq debut, it became apparent that FaZe Clan’s initial $650 million valuation was based on unreachable projected future revenues. Investors are now awaiting the regulatory filing revealing FaZe Clan’s post-merger cash position.
The New York Giants in October will reintroduce the classic uniforms they wore when they first superbowl years, and have sponsored Quest Featuring the Rights to Two “Legacy Games” Celebrating the 1980s-90s Era, SBJ’s Reports Ben Fischer. With the NFL’s decision to allow teams to use a second helmet, the Giants can bring back navy helmets with “GIANTS” lettering.
The uniforms will be in place twice at MetLife Stadium: Oct. 2 vs. Bear and December 4 against the Commanders. For these games, the endcourts will be painted in the Super Bowl XXI Giants endcourt paint scheme, with matching wallcoverings. In addition, there will be a gift pennant and virtual commemorative tickets like NFT available.
The Legacy program also includes a collaboration on four classic items made by Hall and Carl Banks.
The PGA of America has partnered with Elysian Park Venturesthe Dodgers the investment arm of the ownership group, to create EP Golf Venturesreports SBJ Chris Smith. The investment vehicle will be focused on golf and golf-related startups. He has already invested in two startups, mobile golf simulator Dryvebox and motion capture app developer AI Sportsbox.
PGA of America Senior Director of Growth & Ventures kris hart said there were three key boxes to tick as the new fund considered potential investments: 1) Benefit PGA members 2) Grow the game of golf 3) Generate financial return. Stag. “We have 28,000 PGA members, and our purpose and mission as a trade association is, how can we improve their lives?”
Key golf segments for EP Golf Ventures investments include coaching, facility management, retail, health/wellness and performance science.
The NFL Sunday Ticket The package’s early move to digital is the first hot topic of this week’s episode of “Podcast Merchant and Ourand Sports Media.”
Andre Marchand and John Ourand discuss how Apple Where Amazon can create a new distribution model for the NFL with the Sunday Ticket deal, and how it could be global. They also discuss what’s to come for the Big Ten and its TV rights, ESPN+the monthly salary increase of and what it means, David Fehertywent to LIV Golfthe problems with the Derek Jeter doctor and Tom Brady.
They end the show with a guessing game: “How many followers on Twitter does this person have?”
Listen to the podcast hereor watch the video here.
In this week SBJ College newsletter, Michael Smith dig into:
- our Lady expected to charge more for media rights than $75 million a year
- A merit-based income distribution system could be in the works to ACC
- Payments of Texas technologyit is Matador club the collective is more like a salary than NIL
- Big Tenit is Kevin Warren flips script, could win early contract extension
Tonight’s editorial comes from CSM Sports & Entertainment Vice President/Board Kathryn Foremanwhich joins the celebration of the 50th anniversary of Title IX but invites readers to note the discrepancies that still exist:
“It’s time to bridge the huge gaps between men’s and women’s sports and identify the roles that brands, agencies and rights holders can play in bridging them. Those leading the charge to strengthen the foundations of women’s sports will benefit from untapped business opportunities, while bridging the disparities between men’s and women’s sports that Title IX alone has not been able to accomplish.”
Read the full submission here.
- One of the strengths of SBJ Opinion leaders retirement was an address of Olympic gold medal Benita Fitzgerald Mosley, which spoke of social change and the rebound of youth sport. SBJ Ross Nethery notes that Mosley is vice president of League Apps, a platform that helps youth sports organizations operate more effectively.
- Wild Riftmobile version of League of Legends of Riot Gamessurpassed $500 million in global player spend google play and the App store since its launch in October 2020, notes SBJ’s Tobias Seck after an analysis of detection tower The data.
- SportTechie’s tom friend Remarks clocking app game changer added voice-activated score tracking to its basketball product, a long-awaited development for the Dick Sporting Goods.
- Light field celebrates its 20th anniversary this year by launching a series of improvements to the fan experience at the home of the sea hawks and Sirensreports SBJ Bret McCormick. The upgrades will add the new Cityside Bar open to all fans, as well as upgrades to the Upper Lobby concessions and new video boards at the north end of the stadium.
- With the Orioles now only 3.5 games on one al joker spot, punters in Maryland jump on the bandwagon, Remarks ESPN.com. At Caesars Sportsbook in Horseshoe Baltimore“more money was bet on the Orioles to win the World Events than what has been wagered on any other team. “Caesars Sportsbook’s Leading Baseball Trader Eric Biggio said, “No executive, when they look at your September pools and see that we could lose $50 million to the Orioles, will be happy.”