Emergencies can happen anytime, anywhere, so lucky for you if you have a Google Pixel. You can rely on its emergency features that could one day literally save your life or that of a loved one.
All Pixel phones come with a standard emergency dial button (plus a few extra features), while newer Pixel phones come with a feature called Emergency SOS Call. But how do you use them exactly? We’ll take a look.
What is a quick call for emergencies?
For a long time, Android phones have embedded emergency information on the lock screen, which can be accessed without unlocking the device. From here it is possible to access medical data (if it has been filled in before), as well as call emergency services, even when the phone is locked (in fact, if you have certain applications, you don’t even need cell service to call 911).
On all Google Pixel phones, this menu can be accessed by long-pressing the power button and pressing the emergency call button. On Pixel 4, 5, and 6, you can automatically make an emergency call if you press the power button five times.
How to Make Emergency Calls on Pixel 4, 5, and 6
It is essential to activate and configure both the medical data and the SOS emergency calls function on your Google Pixel, because you never know when you will need them. It may be too late to make this configuration when the time comes.
Follow the steps below to add medical data to your Pixel in the event of an accident. Emergency services will be able to see data such as blood type, allergies, weight, organ donation status and contact persons without accessing the rest of the phone’s content. On modern Pixels (4, 5, and 6), you can also make an emergency SOS call. Here’s how:
- Open the Settings app and tap the Security and emergency option.
- Faucet Emergency SOS.
- Then select Activate Emergency SOS. By default, an audible alarm will sound when you use this feature and your phone will call 911. If you wish, you can disable this feature.
- Select the emergency services you want to activate in the event of a real emergency. You can choose to call 911, record a short video, or share your location and information with a pre-selected emergency contact.
- If you select Call emergency services911 is set by default, but you can change it.
- If you select Share information with emergency contactsyou can choose what information to share.
- If you select Record emergency videothis will automatically share the recording with your emergency contacts.
How to make an emergency SOS call
To activate an emergency SOS call, quickly press the power button at least five times. Your alarm will go off (unless you turned it off). Depending on the preferences you selected in the section above, 911 will be called, your information will be shared with your emergency contact, and they will receive emergency video.
To cancel the emergency SOS call after pressing the power button five times, swipe down from your screen.
What is the disadvantage of the emergency SOS call function?
The only downside is that if your Pixel’s power button is sensitive, it could accidentally call 911 and all your emergency contacts. Some users would have experienced this with certain models.
It is recommended to purchase a protective case including the power button. In most cases this solved the 911 call error issues, or if you want you can turn off the SOS emergency call service and just stick with the traditional emergency features including have all the pixels.
Basic emergency functions of all Pixel models
Although the Emergency SOS feature is only available on newer Pixel models, all models come with traditional Android emergency settings. They are activated like this:
- Open the Settings app and go to About phone > Emergency information.
- Customize your settings. In this tab, you can modify your emergency response, Detection and alertsand Contacts and information tabs.
- If you select emergency responseyou can enable sharing with your emergency contacts and select what you want to share with them.
- If you select Contacts and informationyou can update your medical information and emergency contact information.
- If you select Detection and alertsyou enable car accident detection and enable natural disaster and public emergency alerts.
Car accident detection works if you encounter a traffic accident. If you do so, an automatic call will be made to the emergency services if the mobile detects that you have suffered a collision and that you are not moving.
The operation is very similar to that of the Apple Watch’s falls function: if the mobile detects that you have had an accident, it will emit an alert so that you can indicate that you are well.
In the event of no response within a reasonable time, the telephone would then only call the emergency services and give them your contact details, and contact a family member whom you have previously designated.
The personal security app
All of the configurations mentioned above can also be done through the Pixel Personal Safety app. An added bonus of the app is that if you feel unsafe, but are not in an emergency, you can activate Security Sharing which will share your location in real time with your emergency contacts.
You can also activate Security controle which works like a timer. If you do not recognize the timer after a certain time programmed by you, it will contact your emergency contacts.
How to call in an emergency
The old Pixels do not have the function of an emergency SOS call when you press the power button five times, but you can still make an emergency call without the need for a PIN code, pattern, fingerprint or password. It works like this:
- To access your emergency data and contacts, press and hold the Google Pixel power button for a few seconds until you see the restart or shutdown screen.
- Three options will appear: Emergency, Shutdown and Restart. Hurry Emergency to see the options available for emergency calls and SOS contacts.
- A keyboard will appear on the screen of your Google Pixel, and a button at the top with the text Emergency information. Tap this button to open the emergency information you have set. As mentioned above, these include your name, address, blood type, allergies, medications, and emergency contacts.
Feel safer with your pixel
Now that you know your Pixel phone’s security features, you can rest easy knowing that in a real emergency, your phone can help. And similarly, if you’re worried about a loved one, share that information so you and they can feel safer and in control.