Last week, Microsoft announced that Windows 11 22H2 (Build 22621) had been pushed to the Windows Insiders release preview channel. Windows 11 22H2 is the latest major update to Microsoft’s current consumer operating system and brings new features such as Smart App Control, a revamped task manager (with an efficiency mode) and new touch screen gestures. touchscreen (among other features). Additionally, all versions of Windows 11 (including Pro) now require a Microsoft account.
Microsoft will start rolling out Windows 11 22H2 to eligible PCs over the coming weeks and months, but we’ve put together a handy guide to help you get the update now. Although Build 22621 is labeled as a preview release, this is the final release of the software update that Microsoft will release to the general public in waves.
How to Get Windows 11 22H2 Update: 2 Ways
You can install the Windows 11 22H2 update ahead of schedule in two different ways. The easiest way is to go to Windows Update and join the Windows Insider Program (if you haven’t already). Once done, you can install it from Windows Update. The second method is to create an ISO so that you can mount and update in Windows 10/Windows 11 or perform a clean install by transferring the ISO to a bootable USB.
Obtaining Windows 11 22H2 through the Windows Insider Program
Assuming you’re not already a member of the Windows Insider Program on the PC you want to upgrade, here’s how to join. If you’re already a member, you already have this version, or if you’re in the beta or dev channels, you have an even newer one.
1. Go to Settings → Windows Update.
2. Scroll down the page and click on Windows Insider Programwhich brings up the following screen:
3. Click the Start button.
4. If you have not yet joined the Windows Insider Program, the screen below will ask you to link an existing Microsoft account. Click it Link an account button.
5. Select your Microsoft account and click continue when prompted with a list of accounts.
6. Select release preview in the list of available channels and click continue. Insiders have the choice between:
8. Click Continue again when you are asked to review the Microsoft agreement for installing Windows 11 22H2.
8. Restart your device by clicking Restart Now or you can save some things and restart manually.
9. Go to Settings -> Windows Update Once your PC boots into Windows 11, you should see an option that Windows 11, version 22H2 is available.
ten. Click the Download and Install button.
Downloading Windows 11 22H2 will take a few minutes.
The duration of the download and installation process will depend on the speed of your PC and your internet connection. And that’s all there is to it. Even though Windows 11 22H2 is considered Microsoft’s “final” software, we always recommend having an up-to-date system backup before undertaking any major operating system updates. Our motto is that prevention is better than cure.
Creating a Windows 11 ISO with UUP Dump
UUP Dump lets you create the ISO using the very latest Windows Insider builds from Microsoft. Additionally, UUP Dump automates the process using scripts instead of downloading an older version from Microsoft (builds that are often not completely up to date). To use UUP dump:
1. Move towards updump.net.
2. Click the Windows 11 22H2 button above the Quick Options banner.
3. Click Windows 11, build 22H2 (22621.4) amd64 at the top of the list to get the latest Windows 11 ISO image.
4. Click Next.
5. Select Windows edition you want and click Next. We chose Windows Home for our Windows 11 ISO.
6. Select “Download and convert to ISO” and check “Include updates”. Then click “Create download package.” A small zip file will be downloaded to your PC. It’s not the Windows 11 ISO, but it will be used to download it.
seven. Unzip the file and place its contents in a dedicated folder.
8. Double click on uup_download_windows.cmd in the folder with the downloaded files.
Double-click the uup_download_windows.cmd file.
9. Click “Run anyway”, if Windows 11 warns you, it is an unrecognized application.
A command prompt window will open, running a batch file that downloads all necessary files from Microsoft and creates the Windows 11 ISO file for you. The process may take some time, depending on your internet connection and processor performance.
ten. Press 0 to exit when the script has finished downloading the Windows 11 ISO.
A Windows 11 ISO file will appear in the folder where you placed uup_download_windows.cmd.
11. Once you have downloaded your ISO for Windows 11 22H2, you can check out our practice How to Download Windows 11 ISO File and Perform a Clean Install guide to complete the process.