Google and Apple pulled popular battle royale game Battlegrounds Mobile India (BGMI) from their respective app stores on Thursday, following a government order.
Battlegrounds Mobile India (BGMI) is the Indian version of PUBG Mobile, exclusively for gamers in the country, developed and published by Krafton.
The game was released on July 2, 2021 for Android devices and August 18, 2021, after the government banned PUBG as well as Chinese apps for national security reasons.
“Upon receipt of the order, in accordance with established process, we notified the affected developer and blocked access to the app which remained available on the Play Store in India,” a Google spokesperson told Reuters. ‘IANS.
Apple also removed the app from its App Store.
Krafton had yet to comment on the development.
Earlier this month, the game developer announced that its BGMI had surpassed 100 million registered users.
He also said that BGMI has completed a year of being the most loved game in India.
“BGMI’s first year was a resounding success with millions of players joining in to experience the game. We hosted major tournaments, Indian-themed collaborations and celebrated India-centric events with the community. with the aim of bringing unique gameplay to our Indian users,” Krafton CEO Changhan Kim said in a statement.
Over the past year, the game developer has invested almost $100 million to improve Indian video game, esports and entertainment startups to create a healthy game startup ecosystem.
Krafton also said that 2022 will see 4 pro and semi-pro tournaments (BMOC, recently concluded BMPS Season 1, BGIS Season 2 and BMPS Season 2) with cash prizes of Rs 6 crore while offering players across India a platform to showcase their skills.
(Only the title and image of this report may have been edited by Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)