Anyone who hopes Fortnite will return to iOS devices soon. At least, until the legal battle between Epic Games and Apple comes to a meaningful conclusion.
Last year, the two companies fought when Epic Games released a Fortnite update this allow players to avoid using the App Store for in-game purchases. Understandably, Apple wasn’t happy with this and removed Epic’s developer account from the App Store. Epic sued in response; Apple then filed a counter-suit, resulting in a ruling where both companies lost. As a result of all this, Apple refused to reinstate Epic’s developer account on the App Store. Naturally, Tim Sweeny, CEO of Epic Games, is not happy with this.
âApple lied,â Sweeny said on Twitter. âApple spent a year telling the world, the court, and the press that they ‘would welcome the return of Epic to the App Store if they agreed to play by the same rules as everyone else.’ Epic agreed, and now Apple has given up on yet another abuse of its monopoly power over a billion users.
Sweeny then posted an email from Apple attorney Mark A. Perry.
Late last night, Apple informed Epic that Fortnite will be blacklisted from the Apple ecosystem until all legal remedies have been exhausted, which could take up to 5 years. pic.twitter.com/QCD7wogJef
– Tim Sweeney (@TimSweeneyEpic) September 22, 2021
“In light of this statement and others since the court ruling, coupled with Epic’s deceptive conduct in the past, Apple has exercised its discretion not to reinstate Epic’s Developer Program account for the moment, âPerry said. “In addition, Apple will not consider any further reinstatement applications until the district court’s judgment becomes final and without appeal.”
It could take up to five years to sort out this mess, Sweeny said. So here is, Fortnite probably won’t be back on iOS devices for a long time.
Written by Kyle Campbell on behalf of GLHF.