You don’t have to be a starred chef to master the sous vide technique in the kitchen. This French method, in which food is cooked in a vacuum sealed bag usually placed in temperature-controlled water, cooks a range of meats, fish and products – from pepper steak and halibut to barbecue tofu. and caramelized onions. By using this method of cooking, food retains its moisture, “resulting in a wetter end product,” says chef Daniel Carpenter of virtual restaurant operator Nextbite, who develops concepts and menus for the company’s restaurants. The result is often a perfectly cooked cut of just about anything, and at a price you can often swallow: For example, the highly recommended The Anova Precision Sous Vide Range with WiFi is on sale at Williams Sonoma for $ 139.95. Here are our chef-recommended choices for vacuum equipment:
Simple to use and affordable
Anova Precision vacuum cooker with Wifi
$ 199.95 $ 139.95
- Designed to work with any pan you have in the kitchen – just attach a pan, add water and food to a sealed bag or glass jar, then press To start up
- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi capabilities so cooks can control their cooking via their mobile device and adjust anywhere to suit their needs
- Access to over 4000 recipes
“It’s durable, stable, and equipped with modern technology to help home cooks participate in the IoT (Internet of Things) trend in the kitchen. If you have a pasta pot and Ziplocs in your kitchen, you can sous vide with this device. Combined with a FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer, you can get into vacuum gaming for under $ 300, ”says Carpenter.
And New York City executive chef John DeLucie, who oversees Italian restaurants Ainslie in Brooklyn and Carroll Place in Manhattan, is also a fan of the product’s affordability and simplicity. “I like the Anova for its price and its ease of use with the app. I use it on meat, poultry and vegetables, especially carrots, all with great results, ”says DeLucie.
One device, 11 uses
Instant Pot Pro 10-in-1
$ 129.99 $ 79.95
- Good value for money: The Instant Pot can not only cook under vacuum, but also pressure cook, slow cook, sauté, sterilize, make yogurt, keep food warm, bake cake and steam
- 28 customizable cooking program settings
- 4.8 stars and 1,300 reviews
- Inner pot and pressure cooker lid are dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
The Ferrari of kitchen utensils
Polyscience Sou Vide Hydro Pro
- If you’re planning to splurge on proper vacuum equipment, the PolyScience Hydro Pro can be the Ferrari of cookware, suggests Adam Raksin, the New York City restaurant’s executive chef. Grid – which adds that it produces “perfectly cooked and seasoned food”.
- The tool’s immersion circulator is designed to heat and circulate water and maintain precise temperature control.
- It comes with a tub that can hold up to 12 gallons of water and an adjustable clamp to attach to another pot or container.
- Offers a digital needle probe that shows the temperature of your food in real time and cooks can adjust it using a bluetooth-enabled touchscreen interface.
“One thing that is very important is to always remember to check the seals on your plastic bag that you use to hold the food inside. It seems to go without saying, but it can cause serious problems, ”says Raksin, stressing the importance of making sure all parts of the machine are cleaned and dry after use. “Another key that I always like to follow is to make sure the water is preheated or at the correct temperature before placing your food in the double boiler.”
Raksin says the consistency of the Polyscience Sou Vide Hydro Pro to produce restaurant-quality food is what convinced him. Whether he’s making a chicken breast or a steak, he says the food comes out “perfectly cooked and seasoned.”
Powerful and easy to store
Breville Joule Sous Vide Cooker
$ 249.95 $ 199.95
- 4.7 stars with over 3000 reviews
- Lightweight at just 1 pound, and its slim tubular shape makes it easy to store in a drawer
- Works with Amazon Echo and Alexa smart devices
- Chefs simply lower this device into a pot of water and let it heat up.
- Comes with a magnetic bottom so that it sticks to the bottom of your pot.
You will need to pair this product with a jar that can hold up to 8 inches of water and vacuum bags, although any durable freezer bag will do.